Thursday, March 20, 2008

Statistics of Ethiopia

I have seen these statistics all over place from other blogs and the book, "There is No Me without You". Here is just a sampling on the people and children of Ethiopia...

  • There are approx. 4.5 million orphans due to AIDS and poverty
  • One in six children die before they turn 5
  • One in ten children die before they turn 1
  • Millions still die of starvation each year
  • Half the children in Ethiopia will never have an opportunity to attend school
  • Some parts still practice female circumcision
  • 82% of the population survives on less than 1 dollar a day
  • Only 1/4 of the entire population has access to safe drinking water
  • Ethiopia’s doctor to children ratio is 1 to 24,000
  • Children and family are honored above all else threre
  • 1 in 3 people are HIV+ , the average life expectency is between 37-42

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

As Sydney's grandmother, I am humbled by and proud of your leap of faith. Aren't those drippings amazing? God IS good! Sydney is blessed to get you two as parents and our family is blessed to get her!
Much, much love to you four! oxoxo Mom/Granny/(Purnell)

Shea said...

I love your blog, Martha. Thanks for sharing. I can't wait for our little babies to play together.

Anonymous said...

I am so excited for your family. Thank you for letting me join in on the journey. I love the blog!!! Langhorne

Anonymous said...

We are so proud of you two. I am amazed by this leap of faith, and I am so thrilled that this dream of adoption is becoming a reality. Sydney is one blessed girl to be the child of you two. We miss you and can't wait to see a picture of her. Please let us know if we can help with anything. Of course, we will be praying for her safe arrival. Love you guys! MK and Ross Kester