Thursday, August 28, 2008

Long time






It is the last week of summer before my older two go to preschool and no one will believe me when I say it, but it makes me sad. I thought August would be my worst month without any camps, family, babysitters, beach, husband, etc... but I think God prepared me all summer for it. I fell in love with my children this month. I came out of overwhelmed mommy to settling in to my little abode. I think we can all see why God does certain things in your life, but sometimes we can't. In this instance, I glimpsed how God wants us to just be with him and be in the moment. With four, you have to be more so than with two. With four, you can't really do the things you used to, but with that comes grand focus time.

I have found myself walking around thinking, "today, I taught them how to undo a button, showed them how to wash the top of their hands when washing, showed them how to use conditioner that could sting their eyes, crack an egg gently..." I used to think that is exactly what I want to be doing, but deep down think, man, that is all I did, but my heart is now starting to match up with the first thoughts. To do lists don't really exist any more; just be lists. I didn't know how much I needed that wake up call. I didn't know how much I would love it.

It is already going so fast. People used to say that all the time and I believe them. I can't believe that I have only one more year with Bobby left. I will be that mommy with the tissues.

Today we went to pick apples and pears ( and a few stray tomatoes and muscadine grapes that Andrew picked up) with Kristin and her boys. They had a ball, besides the red ants that ate their feet at times. The weather was beautiful and we met some interesting characters along the way. We then found a park with an incredible lake; it felt like that perfect fall day yet it was August.

The above picture is of Charlie who just came home from Ethiopia with our friend Anna. He is 11 months and he is one of the ones we visited while we were there. He is so precious. As you can see Sydney has some competition...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

you are such a good little mama. today was fun and i love all the memories that we made. i especially love the early baby gift:)

I love the little brown dress Sydney is wearing and the red bandanna. how stinkin cute.