Sunday, August 16, 2009

Family...

We had a full weekend with my nephew's baptism this weekend. He is about the cutest little baby I have seen if I say so myself, but the most beautiful part of the worship service was to think about the significance of handing your child over to the Lord; putting a sign and a seal of the covenant on him. Not that in itself, it saves him, but it is a sign that represents so much more than the every day sign. I was thinking of his name since it too is Thomas and thinking of my Thomas and my dad's name. It is powerful to know that God already knows what that name means, who they will become, what He will use them for in His kingdom work. I struggled when I named my Thomas because I felt like was I setting myself for hard questions, doubts, and struggles like the Thomas in the Bible, but it was a neat process because in the end I remembered that his faith was so genuine in the end. I am an immediate gratification kind of girl so I don't the saying "in the end" it works out, etc... I want to know they get it now. Well after thinking about my dad's personality and how he does openly doubt, he in the end comes around to searching out truth. My sister's pastor said today, Thomas doubted and doubted and in the end said, "My Lord, my God." What magnificent power those few words have... such humility in the end. I can't wait to see my little Thomas' personality and see him one day say, My Lord, my God in such awe of a mighty God.

No comments: