Tuesday, April 8, 2008

OH MY GOODNESS!!!



OH my, here she is! Sydney Eyasu Cook. Her middle name is after her father's first name and means Jesus or Joshua. We are overwhelmed with joy that she is legally ours. These pictures were taken when she was about 6 weeks old and she is now 3 months old. We should get an embassy date in the next two weeks and should go get her in 4-5 weeks. That is the magic number, 4-5 weeks. Here is a little video of her from 2 weeks ago...


And now that you are still reading, we have more news as of 11:30 this morning. Andy got a call while I was taking our car to get cleaned from our case worker who told us of Sydney's brother who came up for adoption TODAY! We had asked that the agency would let us know if her brother ever came up for adoption; she said that it was unlikely but that she would write it in our file. This little one is between 2 and 3 years old, and we have accepted the referral for him today. Yes, you just read that right. We will be going to get two children, probably two separate trips. We cannot express our emotions right now. We are so blessed. We prayed for a long time that the children we adopted would have a biological sibling, and thinking that was out of the question, we were just granted this gift. Talk about lives being full...God is so faithful. What a gift they will have in each other.

On Sunday, Andy and I let the kids ride their bikes around the track near by and we sat and talked for 45 minutes uninterupted (anyone with children knows this is a dream), and the conversation centered around having 3 or 4 children. I have always wanted 4 and so has Andy until the past year, Andy has thought 3. He was starting to get very serious about 3 recently since Thomas is getting older and the diapers, baby, food, and all the rest were disappearing. I asked him, if he would just consider and pray about being willing to adopt one more so that Sydney would have someone so much like her. He said he would definitely consider it, but he just wished we had gotten two at the same time. So here we go...

When he told me when he picked me up from the car wash, I thought he was kidding me since we always do that to each other. I knew by the look on his face, this child was already ours in his heart, there was zero discussion. We both just said, yes, of course we will go get him. (then we said a few extras, like, what in the world are we doing. As most of you know through this process Bobby has asked for a brother too and we have said for a year now, we would think about it. I finally told him it wasn't going to happen a few months ago. He asked my "Why?" and I didn't have a response. I didn't know why; I just said because that would be a little much. We told him today it was going to happen, and he said, "What?" "How?".... We told Thomas he was 2, and he said with the utmost joy, "I'm three!"...

Just in case anyone is doing the math, that would be a Senior, Junior, Sophomore, and Freshman in high school and then college... Wow. I might as well cancel my cell phone because everyone will know where I am, at home with 4 children under the age of 5 for the next 5 years! You can all get on your knees and pray right now...

We will hopefully get pictures of her brother today and of course will be waiting by the phone.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

All I can say in response to this post is that my arms are filled with chillbumps and my eyes are welled with tears. I am so excited for you guys and your ever expanding family!

Ellen and John said...

Congratulations Martha! That is wonderful. I am so excited for your quickly expanding family! What a joy for those children to have a natural sibling to know and grow with. You two are amazing to me, and you will definitely be in my prayers.

Ellen Hamrick

Shea said...

YEAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!! I can't wait to meet them both. This is great. What a fun family you'll have.

Anonymous said...

Hi, Martha and Andy --
My husband Clifton and I met you at the adoptive group gathering at Rainbow a couple of months ago. I'm so happy to read your wonderful news. Thanks for sharing details of how this has providentially played out -- what an incredible story! You know, we too anticipate having 4 kids under age 5 next year, so we may be coming to you for some tips on pulling this off! We'll have you in our prayers as you prepare for the journey to Ethiopia and for growing together as a family.
Jennifer Green

brookebrownell said...

Hey now, its not so bad! :)

I am so excited! What a gift from the Lord- we will keep you in our prayers as this unfolds. You can consider yourself a member of my elite club as my friend Deborah says, five children five years old and younger qualifies me as the president ;)

I know it will be a big adjustment- but the Lord is good and the MORE THE MERRIER! HOORAY!

We love you!

Anonymous said...

Andy and Martha: congrats on this wonderful gift from God. This is an inspiring story that is only just beginning. Wonderful! Wonderful!

Love, Luke and Kelley Doiron

ErinM said...

Congratulations--what an amazing blessing you're being given! I am very, very happy for you!

--Erin

About Us said...

WOW!!! We are so very excited for your family. We look forward to reading for as time goes by.

Sara said...

So, so happy for you!! What a blessing! We are in the same boat, as we hope to adopt a baby boy and are crossing our fingers that he may have a sibling. Anything is possible!

Anonymous said...

yeah!!! so happy for you guys and can not wait to meet those babies.

Virginia said...

AHHH!! Holy Cow! Congrats, what a blessing, what a gift, oh my goodness!

VA