Saturday, March 12, 2011

Funny adoption moment

I had friend call me up this week and ask for my forgiveness... of course, I am thinking, uh oh, what did I do or what did she do. She confessed that when she talked with me a year or two ago about adoption, she judged me. She said in her mind she said "why does Martha have to be so negative in terms of adoption." She was in a place where she was about to bring home her two children and was just excited. I remember being with her and thinking, "I need to tell her it is hard to bring home two kids and one being older and one being a baby so she can remember this when she hits some rough spot." She laughingly said, please forgive me... it is soooo hard! I just had to laugh. Aren't we all that way! It is just so hard to admit sometimes and you certainly don't want to be a complainer so sometimes you are just torn on what to say... I think assurance and encouragement is the way to go... reminding them no matter how hard it is, it is GOD who carries you through it, NOT you! I guess that sounds daunting to some too... because that actually admits you need to be carried. Who wants that in our little world... "I can do it myself world". I think maybe we need a new world that says, "I quit. Your turn".

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I love saying, "Quit, your turn..." or I love it when I actually do it. (:

Tiffany said...

Hahahaha...I just talked to that friend a little while ago and she mentioned apologizing to you. I totally do the same thing...wanting people to be prepared for the reality of adoption. I know that it probably comes off as so negative...but it is such a difficult process - the coming home, that I do think it helps to know what to expect. You are right though...God will carry us through it!