The Lord is speaking to me a message I have ignored for quite some time... it is NOW. It is living in the NOW, not the past and not the future. I have had seasons of my life where I live in the past and seasons in the future.... very hard to say I have had LONG seasons in the present. These past few days have been almost eerie to slow to a pace so slow that the present can be absorbed. Watching Bobby pitch in his first baseball game was surreal not because of what it was, but because I was taking in that he will never pitch again for the FIRST time. To drink in that moment without an infant crying or a child calling my name... I could just breathe it in and thank God for that moment. Margin is a word my friend Karen taught me a few years ago, and it summarizes so much of what we cut when we are busy. To allow your life to have wider margins, allows these slower moments, allows us to take them in. Andy couldn't come to the game until late due to work, but I felt this sense of urgency for him to come. I called him twice, telling him to hurry, he might miss it. I used to call because I "needed" his help or didn't want to miss a picture perfect moment... this was entirely different; it was that he would miss a moment that is couldn't be captured on a camera. It is those moments that no one else sees, but that a family feels the tune of when you are together at a game, watching baseball, and eating dinner on a picnic table. Those seem insignificant at times, yet the tone of your life is what gets absorbed by your children. I am so thankful for the book I am reading that has the most beautiful words to describe the NOW. Go out and get yourself a copy of "The Gift of an Ordinary Day".... an entire new lens you will put on... it is much brighter and lighter!
Tuesday, March 15, 2011
Present moment
The Lord is speaking to me a message I have ignored for quite some time... it is NOW. It is living in the NOW, not the past and not the future. I have had seasons of my life where I live in the past and seasons in the future.... very hard to say I have had LONG seasons in the present. These past few days have been almost eerie to slow to a pace so slow that the present can be absorbed. Watching Bobby pitch in his first baseball game was surreal not because of what it was, but because I was taking in that he will never pitch again for the FIRST time. To drink in that moment without an infant crying or a child calling my name... I could just breathe it in and thank God for that moment. Margin is a word my friend Karen taught me a few years ago, and it summarizes so much of what we cut when we are busy. To allow your life to have wider margins, allows these slower moments, allows us to take them in. Andy couldn't come to the game until late due to work, but I felt this sense of urgency for him to come. I called him twice, telling him to hurry, he might miss it. I used to call because I "needed" his help or didn't want to miss a picture perfect moment... this was entirely different; it was that he would miss a moment that is couldn't be captured on a camera. It is those moments that no one else sees, but that a family feels the tune of when you are together at a game, watching baseball, and eating dinner on a picnic table. Those seem insignificant at times, yet the tone of your life is what gets absorbed by your children. I am so thankful for the book I am reading that has the most beautiful words to describe the NOW. Go out and get yourself a copy of "The Gift of an Ordinary Day".... an entire new lens you will put on... it is much brighter and lighter!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
look at that face! i know those moments....photos only do the best they can. but they help you remember what you saw right then. awesome.
go bobby!
So interesting the way God can be teaching and crafting new designs of our hearts...and I haven't even begun the book, yet!!! That Spirit...that Grace....so amazing. Love the articulation of these words!
Post a Comment