Monday, May 5, 2008

Ethiopia#3

[from Andy] I truly didn't know how encouraging prayer could be. Thank you to everyone. Your prayers are felt. I keep thinking back to Martha's choice for a blog name- surrender to the unknown. God knew just how much weight would be behind these words. What a day.

The last 24 hours have been so full. First, they have been full of sickness for Martha. I feel for my wife. There is something about sickness in a third world country. Her attitude has been astonishing especially as we read from Corinthians-- your grace is sufficent for me. Your power is made perfect in weakness. Today, she has made very slow progress, but progress. Her best moment, by my estimation, was when I returned from the care center/orphanage.

My task was to go and prepare the documents that will be submitted to the Embassy (the final step for Sydney). The documents are complete and hopefully will be everthing they need to be tomorrow during our embassy date. Then, the paperwork will be processed and handed over to us by Thursday for our evening departure. Lots of variables here so please pray.

The part of the visit that was marvelous was being with Andrew. The little guy started off shy and by the end of our hour together was beaming and following me around. It was so much fun! He was so active, alert and interested in me. When the other children came around us, he was busy pushing them away claiming me for his own. It was tremendous progress and I am so thankful for it. Needless to say, the news made Martha's day.

We did learn from our agency that, in their words, "there is no chance of getting Andrew by this Thursday or even next Tuesday." The news is hard but we're letting it settle now and relying on God's plan. I think we've surrendered to the unknown, at least for now, but evey hour is a battle to trust God's plan.

... Martha just WALKED in... her first steps toward a non-bathroom all day!

I decided to get up for an hour before going back to bed. i have been in bed for 36 hours, but strangley, it hasn't been that bad. it is strange in the states when you are sick, you feel like you are missing something when you are in bed that long. here, you just feel content and enjoy the quiet. andy has been such a trooper. he has done everything today. he and sydney are buds. she brings so much joy. in my quiet time today from Beth moore, here what i read today...

"faith is not an action; it is a response. If we strive to havve faith, we may be miserably disappointed. But if we learn to trust in His faithfulness, we of all persons may be most blessed."

Deut. 7:9,
"Know therefore that the Lord your God is god; he is the faithful God, keeping his covenant of love to a thousand generations of those who love him and keep his commands."

Psalm 33:4,
"for the word of the Lord is right and true; he is faithful to all he does."

As andy says above, today we have both been able to surrender to going home without Andrew. we of course will still pray and hope, but are finally at peace either way. As any Christian knows, this is where god wants us. The first few days, we were certainly not here so again, your prayers are so helpful. I used to read that when people said that and just had no clue how much it was true.

Pray for a smooth embassy appt, good health, and protection that Andy won't get sick.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

we will keep praying...can not wait to have you guys back home and to hold Sydney.

Unknown said...

andy and martha- we love you guys and are praying for you! we read your blog and are filled with such great joy that you are actually in ethopia on your journey to bring your children home! we cannot imagine how difficult it must be right now, releasing andrew to the lord and his timing...we will pray for you all as you continue to surrender, moment by moment, day by day...and we will be praying for sweet andrew all the while! sydney is sooo precious. we cannot wait to see her face to face! we love you, our friends! love, david and ashli

Lennah and Delylah's mom said...

You guys are in our prayers. I met once of you friends today at immigration who are adopting from Krgystan (what a small world). I will pray for a safe return.
Cathy

Laura said...

I just read your update. Please know that I am in prayer for you. I am praying for quickness in paperwork and healing for you. I pray that all works out smoothly and you are home soon.

God bless you all.

Elizabeth said...

Martha and Andy-
I was forwarded your blog by a random friend and my husband Adam and I started following it. It wasn't until after 2 weeks of reading it/praying for you/tearing up at the precious Sydney video that we realized WE KNOW YOU! We sat with you and Doug and Karen's wedding this past summer! We are seriously considering adopting a baby girl from Ethiopia as well. We love your story and will continue to pray for your growing family.
Love,
Elizabeth Ward

"I am the LORD, the God of all mankind. Is anything too hard for me?
Jeremiah 32:27