Thursday, April 7, 2011

Giving advice...



I had to put Sydney in her princess dress that a dear friend I ran into at Old Navy bought her...she asks for it every other day with her tap shoes.

Something I have been reflecting on this week was the paradox of how we see our weaknesses and how others see them. Each of us knows probably our top three weaknesses, yet hopes that the world doesn't see them. They most likely see them a lot clearer than we do. Isn't it funny how you can see others blind spots easier than your own? It scares me sometimes to think about all the things God will slowly and gently reveal to me over time if I were to see them all now. Thank goodness for Jesus' grace to shine that light in our dark places one at a time or sometimes a few at a time. If he just turned on all the lights, we couldn't deal. Those top three don't just creep up once a month, but typically you see them daily or weekly. My devotion today highlighted and reiterated more than once, be careful to give advice... make sure you have been really, really, really patient before diving in there. What wise counsel. If I could only write out all the times, I have jumped into Jesus' seat and decided to play Holy Spirit! I am surprised at this point, God hasn't just struck me down dead. That still small voice just keeps whispering, become an intercessor... that is all you need "to do". To focus on the power of what God can do through prayer deserves more of my attention. My thoughts go so quickly to "what is my job? what should I say? what should i do?" You realize in marriage that you don't need to do anything.... just need to hold a hand, cry with someone, listen, and say, "this is hard." I have learned this through a few friends that I have who have demonstrated how to meet that deep place in my heart that just needed to be listened to and not fixed. So thankful God has brought girlfriends into my life with sensitivity who love me with all my faults.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

love you!