Tuesday, April 12, 2011

In the moment with Syd

On Saturday, we had nothing on the calendar and had a yard day of little things to do, along with some slide n'slide fun as well. The kids have begged me since February to get it out, and I told them when it hit 80 degrees I would ( next time I am saying 90 degrees). I went from making lunch, to picking up toys, to painting a table, etc... Sydney, meanwhile followed me around from task to task. She waited patiently especially while I painted a table. I could tell she was getting really bored so I looked at her suddenly and said, "Do you want to play hide-n-seek?" Her response was right from the heart, right from a female with eyes wide, " I like you Mommy!" It was like she said, yes, you got it... I am tired of doing all this stuff, can we please play? It amazes me the few times I in tune enough to realize 5 minutes of fun goes a LONG way with children.

I tried it again today. My email inbox was filling up by the minute it felt like so I served Sydney some lunch and thought, I could go and respond to a few of those, but for some wonderful moment of grace, I thought, no, I should just sit and look Sydney in the eye for once. I confess as all others moms know, it is so hard to "be" at times when we are such "to do" people. So I am just talking with her and she has her princess costume on for lunch. After two minutes of engaging with her, she looks right at me with eyes WIDE once again, "Mommy, do youuuuuuu want to dress up?" Like, hey you are really into me again, do you want to play? I put a yellow wig on which once again made her life it felt like. If only, I could pause right now and tell myself every hour, she will only be 3 one time...

4 comments:

"Are These Kids All Yours?" said...

Sometimes being "present" is so hard for us as grown ups....we feel we have to be serious get our to do list done and check things off....but being "with" them is so fun when we let go. Which is easier said than done.....but LOTS OF FUN!!!

Poppy Driskell said...

such a sweet post. however.....i'd love to see a picture of you in this yellow wig!

Amy said...

Such a greatreminder! It is all going to pass away so quickly. The hide and seek and princess dresses will be our most precious memories...the e-mails will be forgotten. Need to take this to heart for myself!

MRK said...

Really great reminder. I struggle with this. I'm definitely a do-er to a fault. And where/when are you moving ? Not too far I hope...I was hoping to get Sydney and Semagen together for a playdate soon and see you guys at the pool this summer!

Loved catching up on past posts...didn't know you'd lived in Concord, MA...I grew up right next door in Bedford/Lexington.

Megan