Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Creativity








My oldest never ceases to amaze me with what he wants to do for the day. Many times when I am in a hurry and hear an idea he has, I have to take a deep breath because it always transpires into something huge. He does nothing minimally. Last week, I basically had a tournament at my house. We took them to a track meet and when we got home he told me, "Tomorrow is racing day." I usually am unaware of what this will look like. The next morning at 7 am he says, "It is race day; this is my favorite day ever!". Uh oh is what I say. From 7-9:15, he had already made signs, a finish line, numbers for all the bikes, and was scheming on how to get the course set up. When he came home at 1:45, he didn't even put his backpack down, he went straight outside and got to work.

He convinced my neighbor to help him set up the finish line with cinderblocks. He never asked for my help once... hum... maybe he is learned, I cannot do tournaments daily. He then proceeds to put towels around the wood that he has gotten for the sides of the finish line and got two more cinderblocks for arrows pointing which way to go. By 3, he was making prize bags, putting random legos, screws, and other odds and ends from our junk drawer. He then asked me to pop popcorn for all the neighbors and set up stools for the food. At 3:30, the moment all his friends got off the bus, he invited them to race. He made medals with shoelaces as well.

At 5, when Andy came home, I was wiped out from the party I had just had. Sydney and I had a ball watching them race. It was a memorable day for sure; thankfully I think the Holy Spirit was in me nudging me constantly to do nothing but enjoy my son's creativity. That doesn't happen every day...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

you've got one creative little boy on your hands. i remember being a kid and getting so excited about some of my ideas...you are a wonderful mom for encouraging him in this. way to go.